Important information:Diabetes diagnosed for the first time during pregnancy (gestation) is Gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is defined as any unusuallyhigh glucose level diagnosed with onset or first recognition during pregnancy. Depending on individual case, it is decided whether insulin or only diet modification is used for treatment.Whether or not the condition persists after pregnancy depends on many genetic and environmental factors.
During GDM, the placenta makes hormones that cause glucose to build up in mother’s blood. It can increase the mother’s blood sugar that can complicatethe pregnancy and the baby's health.Gestational diabetes raises the mother’s risk of high blood pressure, as well as, preeclampsia which is a serious complication of pregnancy that causes high blood pressure and other symptoms that can threaten the lives of both mother and baby.
Steps for a healthy pregnancy1. It is recommended that the pregnant mother should exercise regularly three days a week for 30 minutes.
2. She should not skip meals. Aim to eat every two hours. The blood sugar levels should be regulated by eating a healthy snack or meal every two hours.
3. The pregnant mother should take her prescribed vitamins and other medication regularly.
4. Visit the clinic as may be advised.
Brief Statistics:On an average, 25 patients per month attend the OPD. Most of them need 2 follow up visits per month.
To achieve optimal results, special attention is given to:• Diet schedules are chalked out for every individual.
• Treatment is personalised.
• BSL monitoring at home is facilitated.
• Dose adjustment is done.
• We also arrange GDM meet every month.
• Club GDM - Education, counselling, and interactive session for women with diabetes in pregnancy
Charges: Free of charge
Time: 2pm - 3 pm
Where: Diabetes Unit KEM hospital Pune
At our clinic, Package for GDM mothers includes:There is no package as such for mothers with GDM because we believe in special attention to each of the individual cases.
Schedule (specific days of the week, time):OPD – Monday to Saturday
9 am – 1 pm
Consultants / Staff involvedWednesday – Dr. Gauri Damle
Friday – Dr. Shailaja Kale
Senior Medical Officer – Monday to Saturday
Full-time Junior Consultant: Dr. Smita Dhadge